SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: "Unified Revolution" new book by Espen Haug

December 2nd, 2019, 11:30 pm

One either has to accept that there is no minimum length or time, or one needs to modify special relativity theory! And yes one need to modify SR, point particles is hypothesis that makes little logical sense! ( Please read Principia, Newton would never have bought into it).

Does Special Relativity Lead to a Trans-Planckian Crisis?

My maximum velocity formula brings back a minimum spatial dimension, that indeed is the Planck scale!

wish i could have shown Max my Max velocity formula, to get his critics, but a bit to late, so the closest i can get is to show Max's original signature to my formula..
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 12.27.21 AM.png

katastrofa

December 3rd, 2019, 9:40 am

Don't we need to take into account quantum effects to discuss the scales below the Planck scale? (We cannot measure positions/lengths of objects infinitely precisely, because we don't have photons of energies high enough. Ergo, the Compton wavelength is the limit below which the so-called uncertainty principle applies.)
Anyway, your model is more appealing that string theory, quantum loop gravity and whatever those academic loonies have come up with since I drew a veil over the festival of bias and fallacies called fundamental physics research. I could never give credit to any of those.

Collector

December 3rd, 2019, 11:16 am

there is no scale below the Planck scale!  Ohh Yes and No, are you talking about energies below the Planck energy? this is = length scale above the Planck scale. 

To say below or above the Planck scale is not scientific rigorous enough in my view, and I must check my papers here myself also. Because the Planck length is also the Planck scale, and below the Planck length is above the Planck energy and above the Planck mass. And below the Planck time is also above the Planck energy and above Planck mass.

At the Planck scale we have:  As above so below! One must specify when talking above or below the Planck scale if one talks about Planck energy and mass or about Planck length and Planck time. Because as Above so Below (at the Planck scale) !

QM is also inconsistent with a minimum length, something I have indirectly pointed out in some of my papers, that I now see more clearly and soon will write a specific paper on. But first Christmas!

SR, GR and QM are all inconsistent with minimum length.  They are lost and can not unify their incomplete theories, just dig it down in more and more math. Simplicity will Rule soon Once Again!

"Anyway, your model is more appealing that string theory, quantum loop gravity and whatever those academic loonies have come up with since I drew a veil over the festival of bias and fallacies called fundamental physics research."  

thank Yu

Collector

December 3rd, 2019, 11:55 am

interesting Herman von Helmholtz supposedly to begin with did not even bother reading papers by his former student Max Planck, but they still got well along.  
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.03.10 PM.png
statue budget went down over time? Or just that the world entered the modern art area? Planck look like an Alien...

katastrofa

December 3rd, 2019, 12:53 pm

MKEP and HvH got along well scientifically even if the second didn't read the first's papers? There can be only one explanation - Planck stole and published Helmholtz's ideas ;-)

Yeah, Planck looks quite "deformed". Brings to mind his personal life - he lost all his children (one of his sons tried to assassinate Hitler and was hanged) and was morally against Nazism and the persecution of Jews.

katastrofa

December 3rd, 2019, 1:12 pm

There's a lot of space for details and sophistication at any length scale:
by Johann Swanepoel. Mouth brushes of a mosquito larva under a differential interference contrast microscope. Third price in Olympus Image of the Year 2019.

Collector

February 2nd, 2020, 10:30 pm

"Yeah, Planck looks quite "deformed". Brings to mind his personal life - he lost all his children"

actually not fully correct, his fifth child Hermann that he got with his second wife survived him.  Also he was survived by the child of his daughter. She died just after giving child birth.  Her sister then married her sisters husband, and also she died when giving child to him. So Planck despite all the tragedy was survived by his two granddaughters and also his fifth child. Hermann did not get old, but outlived Max!

(PS: and at the Planck scale there is conservation of information, but yes scrambling of it, decoder is needed)

katastrofa

February 4th, 2020, 2:04 pm

So the information can last forever, we just may not be able to access it? No dissipation in your model?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

February 4th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Do physicists do 'real' PDEs?And I mean real, well-defined, well-posed and not out of this world?

Collector

February 5th, 2020, 11:39 am

Do physicists do 'real' PDEs?And I mean real, well-defined, well-posed and not out of this world?
not sure exactly what u have in mind?

The Schrodinger equation is an interesting PDE. It is valid approximation when v<<c. It is directly linked/derived from standard momentum (at least in some of its forms). Standard momentum for a particle with mass is zero when a particle is at rest. This is also where the modern physics standard matter wave is infinite. The de Broglie matter wave is derived from standard momentum.
"De Broglie had an extremely strong and concrete physical justification for the infinite wavelength of matter waves, corresponding to the body at rest.”—H. Chauhan et al.

So the Schrodinger equation can only be a good approximation when v<<c and v>0. So it dose not really hold for rest-mass particles, nor for fast moving particles. Modern physics have partly tricked themselves around the zero momentum problem, by introducing two momentum formulas that they not have any direct connection between. That is an additional and separate formula for the momentum of photons, that series of researchers without discussing it even uses for particles with rest-mass, (at the same time they assume photons do not have mass).

These issues are avoided when one release that the de Brolige wave is just a mathematical derivative of the true matter "wave", namely the Compton wave. Also the standard momentum is a derivative of what we can call the Compton momentum. For Compton momentum one have well defined rest-mass momentum, in addition to kinetic and total momentum. The photon momentum in standard physics we get from the Compton momentum when v=0. Here we get one formula for momentum that holds for all particles, also photon-photon collisions. At photon-photon collision the photons stand still for a Planck second and are mass, and have momentum.

Another issue is if space is quantized on not, in my view space is not quantized, it is continuous divisible void. If it is quantized can we then use PDE's? "PDEs are equations that involve rates of change with respect to continuous variables. (wiki) " ? Is this where QPDEs comes in?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

February 5th, 2020, 1:15 pm

not sure exactly what u have in mind?

Another issue is if space is quantized on not, in my view space is not quantized, it is continuous divisible void. If it is quantized can we then use PDE's? "PDEs are equations that involve rates of change with respect to continuous variables. (wiki) " ? Is this where QPDEs comes in?
e.g. in the sense of Hadamard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-posed_problem
I had never heard of QPDE, Sounds like a 'fix'?
Most mortals see PDEs as being defined in continuous space.

Collector

February 5th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Hadamard "He believed that mathematical models of physical phenomena should have the properties that:

3. the solution's behavior changes continuously with the initial conditions."

so yes that is what he believed, but is it really so with physical phenomena at the quantum scale? How did Hadamard get to the door, by grabbing the tail of the convergent infinite series? (what would Zeno say to that?)

Collector

February 5th, 2020, 4:01 pm

"So the information can last forever, we just may not be able to access it?"   

"He explained that an Aleph is one of the points in space that contains all other points." "Truth cannot penetrate a closed mind. If all places in the universe are in the Aleph, then all stars, all lamps, all sources of light are in it, too." Luis B. (not to be mixed with Louis de B.)...one must belive in point particles and a big bang to buy this....or...

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

February 5th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Hadamard "He believed that mathematical models of physical phenomena should have the properties that:

3. the solution's behavior changes continuously with the initial conditions."

so yes that is what he believed, but is it really so with physical phenomena at the quantum scale? How did Hadamard get to the door, by grabbing the tail of the convergent infinite series? (what would Zeno say to that?)
If physicists want to use PDE, then they have to obey the rules, otherwise develop a new theory. It's all or nothing.

And sticking an adjective in front of a noun changes nothing. Super String Theory,

katastrofa

February 6th, 2020, 7:48 am

"So the information can last forever, we just may not be able to access it?"   

"He explained that an Aleph is one of the points in space that contains all other points." "Truth cannot penetrate a closed mind. If all places in the universe are in the Aleph, then all stars, all lamps, all sources of light are in it, too." Luis B. (not to be mixed with Louis de B.)...one must belive in point particles and a big bang to buy this....or...
Borge's stories... postmodern silver-wrapped bull**** :-P

Have you read Kant's "Metaphysical Foundations of Natural Science" on locomotion and kinetics (as opposed to dynamics) and his construction of time in his "Critique of Pure Reason"? The phrased there the foundations (and part of results) of Einstein's relativity theory and basically the whole analytical geometry and a lot of maths as we use it now.

Funny that our intuition and understanding of the Universe have been decided by a bunch of guys who were first to choose and define all scientific concepts (Newton, Kant and his contemporaries: Leibniz, Lagrange, Euler, and than the turn to relativism: Einstein). To think that if Cuchulainn lived in their times we might now describe everything with partial differential equations.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On