SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul
Topic Author

Re: UK and the EU: In or out?

September 12th, 2019, 4:36 pm

It cuts out one step of the toing and froing that will inevitably happen!

But isn't that part of the typical story from the groves of academe these days? Everything in academia is politicised. If it were like this in Newton's time we wouldn't have gravity and we'd all still be floating around in space.

So in conclusion you probably wouldn't hire her (even as an intern) despite her economics and science background. But she's fine running the EU. 

Gamal

September 12th, 2019, 6:41 pm

C'mon, she's at least sober.

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Still, the average DL article is more like this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2019, 6:55 pm

In fairness, you can't accuse Boris of plagiarism. Why not? not necessary because he makes it up as he goes along. My Eton friends would not agree with me here. But they went on to study engineering at Cambridge.

Obvious follow-on: what does it take to be a good politician?

Paul
Topic Author

September 12th, 2019, 7:45 pm

I love all the Type B personalities criticising making everything up as you go along! 

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Yeah, those Type A are killjoys, especially at (birthday) parties. And they don't buy rounds.

ISayMoo

September 12th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Type C personalities are running the world, as the song goes.

Paul
Topic Author

September 12th, 2019, 8:30 pm

I did not even know there were Types C and D until googling just now. I guess they don't get out much.

I assume everyone here is Type A(?). But I learn that there are two types As: Achievement Striving and Irritable. I'm definitely irritable. Bloody irritable. But it's not me, it's world that's just plain irritating.

ISayMoo

September 12th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Oh, I meant a different C. And I'm not Type A. I'm a Type B trying to be a Type A. Or the other way round.

Cuchulainn

September 12th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Type B personality, by definition, are noted to live at lower stress levels. They typically work steadily, and may enjoy achievement, although they have a greater tendency to disregard physical or mental stress when they do not achieve. When faced with competition, they may focus less on winning or losing than their Type A counterparts, and more on enjoying the game regardless of winning or losing. Unlike the Type A personality's rhythm of multi-tasked careers, Type B individuals are sometimes attracted to careers of creativity: writer, counselor, therapist, actor or actress. Their personal character may enjoy exploring ideas and concepts. 

Well, I never!

Paul
Topic Author

September 13th, 2019, 12:28 am

So you see what I mean about Type Bs planning everything out in detail, while Type As make up stuff on the fly. In the Brexit negotiations we need the Type As. Previously we had Type Bs. They would have been better off painting landscapes of the Lake District instead of negotiating the future of the UK.. 

Gamal

September 13th, 2019, 5:32 am

You're missing one thing - there's no counterparty to negociate with. The UK is leaving without any deal, maybe a bit later.

Cuchulainn

September 13th, 2019, 7:30 am

Type A, B, .., X,Y,Z is neither necessary nor sufficient. We all know there is no time to get it right first time but all the time (5-10 years) in the world to get it fixed. Even Ulyssses knew that.
Amen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2CCfxiQ5QY

You thought the leaden winter
Would bring you down forever,
But you rode upon a steamer
To the violence of the sun.

Scylla or Charybdis??

Britannia between Scylla & Charybdis. or— The Vessel of the Constitution steered clear of the Rock of Democracy, and the Whirlpool of Arbitrary-Power. Js. Gy. desn. et fect. pro bono publico. SUMMARY: Pitt steering small boat, The Constitution, which also carries Britannia, towards a castle with a flag inscribed "Haven of Public Happiness". They are pursued by Sheridan, Fox, and Priestley, who are sharks, dogs of Scylla. MEDIUM: 1 print : engraving, color. CREATED/PUBLISHED: [London] : Pub. by H. Humphrey, April 8th 1793.

Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 13th, 2019, 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gamal

September 13th, 2019, 7:53 am

But will there be any European Union then? And any UK?

ISayMoo

September 13th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Unless some external shocks destroy it, the EU will persist. It has created a pan-European political elite which is married to the idea of European integration.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On