SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

punkfanatic3000
Topic Author

Finding work overseas

March 18th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Hi,I have been working for 5 years in London in the energy sector in a quant-ish related work.I am thinking of trying to go overseas, remaining in the energy sector. How can you find a job overseas from London?Thanks.

ISayMoo

Finding work overseas

March 19th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Using the Internet, most probably.

DDUKON

Finding work overseas

April 6th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Talk to a recruiter who does hiring on global level.

liam

Finding work overseas

April 19th, 2016, 10:07 am

Internet and HHs are the way to go here. Using your network to get a role overseas is tough unless you have a filofax only business developers ever seem to have. In your situation i.e. doing the same work again, HHs alone will do the trick.The curse of being a quant and networking is that most contacts you meet can't get it through their retarded skulls that you can't just point your gun in the general direction of sectors like 'finance' or 'tech' and hit and hope. I've had some bad experiences with contacts where I wind up getting humiliating lectures on my own sector or CV from uninformed clowns. You explain your particular sub-sector of finance (and in my case nowadays subsector of 'tech') and they don't listen. But I have hit gold and gotten interviews this way as amongst that retardedness you will get some people that understand, so it's not all doom and gloom. Just don't hold your breath - it's not going to be like getting teaching experience, where friends claim they got experience for PGCE through teachers they volunteered with and even in one case through a contact through her hairdresser. Add the international move element to this and it makes it more complicated - HHs alone with a global reach will do the trick.The main thing is the practicalities - I moved to London after interviewing from Dublin for 2 months. Any final rnd interviews the interviewing firms paid for my flights, but I paid for flights for 2nd rnd. Would have been awkward if I were employed at the time and needed to take time off, which would have been a constant need. Not sure how it's done transatlantically etc.
Last edited by liam on April 18th, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On